If you have registered for this workshop, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for a transfer into another workshop session or a full refund. Thank you for your understanding.
Packing and Shipping Mosaic Fine Art with Scott Fitzwater
Session 3A: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 8:00am – 12:00pm
Session 3B: Thursday, April 25, 2019, 8:00am – 12:00pm
Price: $220 (Includes $25 Materials Fee)
This course will teach students how to best pack and ship mosaic fine art for art expositions and customer delivery. The course consists of:
- 2-3 hours of slideware, lecture, and demo detailing mosaic fine art packing and shipping best methods.
- 1-2 hours of hands-on workshop where each student will construct a shipping jacket that could be used to protect a small, flat mosaic for storage, travel or shipping.
The course will focus on the following:
- Plusses and minuses of packing materials. Using the right materials the right way
- Mitigating the shock and vibration of shipping
- “Fool” proof packing. Hoping for the best while planning for the worse
- Supporting the remote unpacker and packer
- Clarity and ease of use of the packing method
- Employing diagrams and instructions
- Reuse of materials and packaging
- Packing costs and how to save money
- Packing 2D vs 3D mosaic fine art
- Domestic and foreign shipping
- Shipping alternatives
- Selecting a shipper/carrier
- Customs and ATA Carnets
- Costs of shipping
- Insurance considerations
- Packing examples and demos
- Packing and shipping successes and failures.
Handouts will be provided that document the class content. There will be time for questions throughout the class. Tools and materials will be provided for the in-class shipping jacket construction project. This workshop will benefit artists who want to develop the knowledge necessary to practically and protectively pack and safely ship their mosaic fine art. This class will not specifically cover packing and shipping of installation, architectural or site-specific mosaic art.
Scott Fitzwater is a Portland, OR artist who has been creating mosaics since 2008. He works primarily with slate that he fashions into abstract wall and sculptural art. His pieces have been exhibited in shows in North America and Europe. His work has won numerous awards. This is his first class as an instructor. Fitzwatermosaic.net
Professional Development Seminars
Broadening the Understanding of the Business of Art. Providing professional artists with best practices and tips to transition from non-art related field to an art business.
Artistic & Technical Development Workshops
Increasing an understanding of general art concepts in relation to a mosaic artwork. Increasing the technical skill of the mosaic artist through the exploration of materials, techniques, and tools.