What is the Work Exchange Program?
Those conference attendees that are able to volunteer more of their time might consider applying for the Work Exchange Program. Dedicated, accountable volunteers will be asked to work 15 hours prior to and/or during the conference to support the staff and membership throughout the conference and ensure the conference runs smoothly.
Selection and placement will be at the discretion of the Volunteer Coordinator and there are limited spots available for this program. Open availability during the conference is the number one factor in being selected for the Work Exchange Program. If accepted and upon completion of the 15 hours, Work Exchange Volunteers will be reimbursed for their conference registration fee.
Work Exchange Program Deadline: March 30, 2020
Notification of Work Exchange Program Acceptance: April 7, 2020
Notification of Work Exchange Position Assignment: April 20, 2020
Why do I want to volunteer for the Work Exchange Program?
Through volunteering in such a capacity, volunteers will:
- Get to meet and know fellow mosaic artists, SAMA board members, and SAMA staff in a way that creates lasting relationships while contributing to the success of the conference;
- Enrich the volunteer’s conference experience and save the volunteer money;
- Help defray conference costs for those who need the support.
Volunteers are needed for the success of the conference, and it is a wonderful way to have fun, enrich your conference experience, as well as get a behind-the-scenes experience. While the purpose of this program is to provide support staff for the conference, it also allows a participant the opportunity to fully participate in the conference. Please apply early, as the number of positions is limited.
Work Exchange duties might include, but are not limited to:
- Clerical Conference work
- Assist at Registration
- Assist instructors throughout their workshop
- Assist the Conference Team during Conference
- Assist with Vendor Marketplace set up
- Monitoring entrance doors to various conference events
- SAMA Store
- Assist with the Raffle
- Mosaic Art Salon-set up, preview, auction
- Gallery Sitting Mosaic Arts International in Tucson, AZ, May 1 – 29, 2020
To be considered for the Work Exchange Program:
- Current SAMA membership in good standing from the time of application through May 2020.
- Be available and willing to work beginning Tuesday evening, May 12 through Saturday, May 16, 2020, for a total of 15 hours during those days; or 25 hours of Gallery Sitting between May 1 – 29, 2020 (for Tucson area residents only)
- Apply for a position by filling out and submitting the application and signing the Volunteer Agreement form; listing your workshop and tour plans, abilities and contact information. Upon submission of the application, our Volunteer Coordinator may contact you to discuss your abilities and will respond by April 7, 2020, to let you know if you have been accepted. Schedules will be sent to volunteers by April 20, 2020. If selected, you will be asked to sign the SAMA Confidentiality Policy.
- Must pay own travel expenses and stay in official conference hotel;
- It is helpful but not mandatory to have basic computer skills;
- MUST be flexible to work where placed.
Work Exchange benefits include:
- Complimentary Registration Package valued at $450 to the 2020 SAMA Conference in Tucson, AZ.
- Undying gratitude of SAMA staff and Board
Volunteers are asked to register and pay for their registration first. A check will be available at the end of the conference to reimburse registration fees once hours worked have been verified. Volunteer Work Exchange participants who miss their work assignments during the conference will not receive a refund.
To become a Work Exchange Participant:
- Fill out the application form below.
- You will be emailed a link to electronically sign the Volunteer Agreement. You must sign this document for your application to be complete.
- Please apply early as there are a limited number of positions available in the Work Exchange Program. Applications will be accepted through March 30, 2020.
- Volunteers who are selected for the Volunteer Work exchange will be notified by April 7, 2020.
- The greatest need is for availability on Wednesday and Thursday of the conference.
- Scheduling decisions made by the SAMA Volunteer Coordinator are final no exceptions will be made.
- SAMA Board members are not eligible for this program.
For additional information: Please contact Donna Post email@example.com
2020 Work Exchange Program Application
The application process is currently suspended. See Covid-19 Update page for more information.