Focus on Form, The Development of Sculptural Form for Mosaic with Caitlin Hepworth
Friday, February 5, 2021
4:00pm – 8:00pm
Join artist and teacher Caitlin Hepworth to learn to think differently about Sculptural Mosaic, where the development of the form is as much a consideration as the mosaic which is later applied to it. Caitlin has come to mosaic practice from a sculptural background and she aims to share her knowledge and love of this complex artform and its infinite possibilities.
It is Caitlin’s firm belief that in sculptural mosaic the form and the tesserae must energetically connect and work together to convey the artist’s intention. The two elements are co-dependent and intrinsically linked and for a successful outcome the sculptural form itself must be valid. In this workshop students’ will learn strategies to explore, develop, evaluate and construct sculptural forms for mosaic.
- Slide show and lecture examining different examples of sculpture, and in particular sculptural mosaic as well as information about Caitlin’s making process.
- Demonstration of design development and drawing.
- Demonstration of idea exploration and evaluation in clay.
- Demonstration of idea exploration evaluation in Wire Form Mesh.
- Demonstration of Scaling up the model and using small scale internal armatures
- Demonstration of construction of a small free-standing sculptural form for interior display
- Class discussion and question time
This session should particularly benefit those who are interested in broadening their practice to include sculpture as well as those who have already begun to work in 3D.
Students are supplied with notes, including diagrams and photos of the steps demonstrated as well as a full materials list for students to repeat the process personally at home.
Graduating from the National Art School in 2000 with a BFA in Sculpture, Caitlin Hepworth went on to complete a Master of Teaching in Visual Arts at the University of Sydney in 2002. She has taught at numerous institutions around NSW and in 2009 opened her school, Hughes Studio – School of Visual Art and Mosaic. Caitlin has been represented in numerous national and international exhibitions including the Waterhouse National Science Prize 2018 at the South Australian Museum and Sculpture at Scenic World 2018. She has been a finalist in the SAMA MAI Exhibition 2016 & 2017 as well as a finalist in the GoCM ‘Stories we Tell’ 2017. In 2018 Caitlin was a participant in the Third Symposium of Mosaic Art in Sardinia Italy with Maestro Giulio Menossi and the 2018 recipient of the SAMA Robin Brett Scholarship which enabled her to study with Verdiano Marzi at CMS in 2019. caitlinhepworthmosaics.com.au